My Favorite Place

During the summer after my freshman year, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Italy. Not only did I take a class in art history but my group also performed a service project during which we painted an old elementary school in Arezzo. Along with learning about the art, the best part of the trip was seeing the art. Our trip included travels to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Arezzo, and Florence.




( Florence skyline with the Ponte Vecchio at the center: Photo by David Michalczuk

By far, my favorite place to travel was Florence. The ambiance, architecture, artwork, food... everything was what I imagined an authentic Italian city to be like. We visited Basilica of Santa Croce, saw the David, and heard a lot about the medieval history of Florence. My favorite part was exploring the leather market (and learning how to bargain). To end our day in Florence, we walked up to the top of the Duomo of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore. From the top, you could see the entire city with the mountains that surrounded it in the background. It was truly a dream. I love to travel, but I never travel to the same place twice, since there is so much more to see in the world. However, Florence is one city I would go to again and again if I had the opportunity.


(Me (!) at the top of the Duomo of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore) 

Comments

  1. Oh, look at all those wonderful places you went to in Italy, Amandeep: how wonderful! I hope you will get to go back to Florence again. I went there often when I was in graduate school because I did a lot of my studies at the University of Siena, and every time I went walking around Florence, I would discover something new. Now if only we could magically arrange a field trip for this class to India...! I always like to think about how people could use this class as a way to plan out where they what places they would like to see in India if by some lucky chance they get the opportunity to go there. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment