My Feedback Thoughts

Making mistakes and most importantly taking the time to learn a lesson from those mistakes to me is one of the most important things a person can do. As an individual always striving to do more, I feel that I wouldn't be who I am today if I had not made the mistakes that I did. Feedback can be in many forms, but typically we think of it as feedback others give us on a task. I think sometimes the most important feedback is when we evaluate ourselves and reflect on our work or our behavior. This type of feedback allows for greater personal development.


(An important quote to remember as we go through life, meeting all of the challenges head one- image provided by Padlet


The first article I read was How to Overcome Perfectionism: Your Complete Guide by Celestine Chua. Chua does a great job of calling herself out as a perfectionist and the struggles she faces. I found her take on the perfectionist’s mind trap, something I had never hear of before, quite interesting. The perfectionist’s mind trap is essentially traping oneself with an endless focus on unimportant information and requisites. I think as college kids, we tend to fall into this realm. But Chua points out that we should focus on the 80/20, the important factors that bring you the most impact. Overall, Chua does a great job of listing ways that we must leave behind a neurotic perfectionist mindset and be open to other experiences. The other article I read was The Importance of Mistakes by John Cleese. Cleese suggests that unless we have a positive attitude toward mistakes, we will behave irrationally and unsuccessfully in what we are trying to achieve. He also points out that making mistakes allows people to work more closely together because we let go of inhibitions and gain the confidence to contribute spontaneity to a group. This spontaneity can facilitate better conversations and offer a unique outlook to the group. Not only that, but a positive outlook toward mistakes allows us to better them faster!



Comments