Topic Brainstorm

My first topic of interest is Sita. Seldom are women portrayed in as powerful of a role as Sita is, so this was quick to catch my attention. I love how Sita is described with simple qualities of dedication and purity but is also shown to have shades of courage and self-sacrifice. She seems compassionate but also willing to fight for what she believes is right. I think as a young woman, there are many lessons I could learn from her story. A famous account I have heard about her is when Ravan dresses as a vagrant, asking for Sita's help but then abducts her, so it would be fun to explore that story. Overall, I think Sita would be a good project topic because there are many layers to her character and her story that can be fully analyzed.


(Image of Ram and Sita rejoicing by the water- Image provided by Flickr)

My next option is Loving Couples of Indian Mythology (Immortal Love Legends). I have heard about some of the love stories, such as Ram and Sita and Krishna and Radha.  However, after looking into this topic, I noticed there are many more. I'm excited to explore Ram and Sita a lot more since they are the central couple throughout this semester, but another couple that interested me was Urmila and Lakshmana. Doing a project incorporating a  modern twist to these old love stories would be super cute and a lot of fun. 

Food is always interesting, no matter what culture. For this project, I think it would be fun to look at food types that would have been popular in old India, comparing them to modern foods. I am confident that there are probably other delicacies that have been added to Indian Cuisine, but I wonder if there are certain dishes that have stayed the same throughout time. I know Kheer is mentioned in the research topic, which is one of my favorite Indian sweets and still very popular in India. This leads me to wonder if other sweets we eat nowadays were around during this period. I think this topic could facilitate a decent amount of research! 

The last topic that would be fun to explore is the concept of Nagas and Nagins. In India, we don't have vampires so our version of a vampire would be a Naga. I think a fun idea for this project would be taking a classic American vampire story, such as The Vampire Diaries or Twilight and retelling it with Nagas and Nagins! I found it interesting to learn about Ulupi since she was a Nagin who fell in love with a human (much like Twilight!!). This would definitely be a fun topic to explore! 

Comments