Week 2 Reading Overview

I have decided to read the Public Domain Edition of Ramayana. There are several reasons for doing so, the first of which is that it is free and easily accessible. I have had a tough time the past week getting all my books and the bookstore being out of so many additions, having access to a free version of the Ramayana online is both time and cost-efficient. But beyond this, I think that since this version has insights from various authors who have each portrayed the story in a different format, it will be a more insightful read. Getting different perspectives from each allows for a more in-depth study of the folklore. I think it would provide an overall better understanding of the story! I chose the image below because it comes from a scene in the Ramayana where Rama and Sita learn about the history of Ravana and his ancestors.


(A portrait of Rama and Sita enthroned in Ayodhya; image provided by-British Library

I liked exploring the comic books and the playlist (which is quite impressive, I must say). I first chose the Golden Mongoose comic because the title was catching. I actually don't know what a mongoose but the comic seemed to have a message related to being humble which I appreciated. The second comic I chose was Urvashi. I haven't heard the story about Urvashi but some research told me she was one of the most beautiful apsaras who was made to be more prettier then Indra's apsaras. She was therefore gifted to Indra and I believe they fell in love! Both these comics are so different and it is interesting to see these various aspects of Indian myths.

The first video I chose was Harry Potter Meets Hindu Mythology | EPIFIED because I LOVE Harry Potter, so I was immediately attracted to watch! I liked how the story of Harry Potter was told in conjunction with Indian folklore! The second video that caught my attention was Powerful women of Hindu mythology | EPIFIED. I know of several Indian epics with females like Sita and Radha, but most are still centered more around men than women. Therefore this video was quite interesting because it showcased how important the role of women was in these stories as well.

Comments