Learning Challenge: Gratuity is the Key to Happiness

During times of stress, I think it is so important to think about our mental health and take care of ourselves. One thing I've learned in my Psychology classes is mindset is half of the approach. So if you are always stressed out, that will start to affect your physical health as well.
The article I read was 6 Ways Gratitude Can Improve Your Life and Make You Happier by Victoria Brauer.

Brauer starts the article with a great quote about happiness residing in gratitude. I think I can attest that sometimes the greatest happiness is when we do something for others through the kindness of our hearts. I know I have felt that sometimes! The first lesson this is article talks about is understanding what happiness is since it can be different for different people. The author talks about material possession and I can fully say that I also used to think material things are what brings me happiness, but that's not it. Brauer mentions six things that can not only help us express gratitude, but also ways for us to live simply. I think during times of COVID-19, the whole world can benefit from looking for happiness in little things. I think one virtue of mine that was confirmed is that being happy actually boosts confidence. This is pretty simple because when we are happy, we believe in ourselves and others even more!  My favorite is that it improves sleep!! We know college kids love to sleep!

The 6 methods Brauer mentions are:

1. You're better able to be present
2. It boosts confidence
3.  Being thankful means less worry
4. Gratitude improves your sleep
5. It improves relationships
6. Gratitude leads to generosity, which can be highly rewarding





(I thought this quote was very meaningful becuase it shows how gratitude is seen in all life forms, so if animals express their gratitude in this way, we should look for opportunities to give as well.  Image provided by Flickr)

Comments