Microfiction: The Great Tree Spirit



(The tree had wide branches and under him lived his kids, little tree's that were just sprouting; image provided by Wikipedia)

Six-word story: He tried, so kids could triumph

Dribble: The King tried to cut down his roots, but the tree only thought about his kids. They lived under his branches and could not survive without him. He spoke to the King with extreme vulnerability, crying about his situation. Seeing the spirit's pity, the King allowed him to live on.


Authors Note: For my Microfiction, I decided to tell the same story six-word stories (just what the name says; no more than 6 words) and dribbles (no more than 50 words). I will be doing a retelling of The Spirit That Lived in a Tree. I read it as part of the Eastern Stories and Legends and it is a form of the Jataka Tales. However in these stories, the Buddha is reborn as a different being each time, so in this story, he is the Spirit. The 6 words of very hard and I got a really good 7 words story, but I think this fits too. Overall, I think this was a very fun assignment! 

Bibliography: Title: Eastern Stories and Legends
Author: Marie Shedlock
Year: 1920 (originally published in 1910)

Comments