Biography: High School Graduation

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do my story lab biological writing assignment, I loved the thought of telling a story about a picture. This picture I chose is from my high school graduation in 2016. 

I had a lot of family members present for the actual graduation ceremony and this was just a couple hours before. We celebrated at home, had cake, took lots of pictures, it was just a fun day overall!! I remember how much excitement was through the house, not just for graduation, but also because we were all together and getting to celebrate. 


(This is a picture of my parents, sibling and I, during my graduation party; Personal image, (no link))

This picture is extra meaningful because I am a 2020 senior and graduation is canceled. I am extremely mindful of everything going on in the world, so I know it’s horrible to still be upset about it. But just the fact that something most we look forward and work so hard to achieve was taken away from us, makes me value this picture even more. Also, as a first-generation college student, this moment was supposed to be special for my whole family, not just me. I guess I am still having my pity party over it. However, in reflection, I think my biggest wish (lesson) to come out of COVID-19, is to cherish the moment and cherish the people because you never know when it will all be taken away from you. I know there are friends who I will never see again and that is so upsetting. I am excited that my OU journey doesn't end here though and I will be returning to attend OU College of Law in the Fall!!


Authors Note: Like I said, as a 2020 Senior, it has been a very hard transition out of college. For my writing, I wanted it to be reflective of the picture, but I think the bigger purpose was for me to reflect on our current situation. I wanted to keep my piece short and meaningful. I think this picture is one I will always cherish!

Comments